Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Salad Days

OK, so my dad found a couple of recipes from my grandpa Art of some of the best salad dressing ever...
or another of what seems to be the same...
I'll have to try them out and see which is the original.
Super busy at work, so planning a menu or even what to cook for the evening is tough.  I put out some chicken thighs to thaw this morning, so I'll need to see what I can do to make something tasty...
I really feel like Corned Beef and Cabbage though.  This is what I do...

Corned Beef and Cabbage
Every St. Patrick's Day I make a huge pot (about 9 lbs.) of Corned Beef with the necessary veggies (carrots, celery, potatoes and cabbage).  Served with some malt vinegar for the cabbage and a mustard sauce, it's a great meal for the whole family!
We used to have a dessert of Guinness floats, but since I don't imbibe any more we have whatever else sounds good.

Beef:
3-4 lbs. Corned Beef (Flat cut or end cut) with Herb/Seasoning Packet
3 cloves garlic
1 onion - cut in quarters
1 celery stalk - cut in 1" pieces
1 Bay Leaf
2 Bottles of Beer (whatever you like)
Cold water to cover
Bring to boil, reduce to med-low and cook for 3:30 (3 1/2 hrs.)

Veggies:
Red potatoes - quartered (about two per person)
Carrots - cut diagonally into 1" slices (about one per person)
Green cabbage - cut into 6 wedges with core intact (more if desired)

At 2:45 add potatoes
At 3:00 add carrots and cabbage

Remove meat from pot and let rest for about 10 min.
Serve veggies around roast and enjoy!

Mustard Sauce
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Yellow mustard
1 tsp Horseradish
Mix thoroughly and add anything else you would like to taste (favorite hot sauce, splash of beer/Irish Whiskey, sour cream...the possibilities are endless).

No comments:

Post a Comment