Friday, October 21, 2011

UEA

Since moving here to Utah, I haven't really understood what UEA weekend is, or why they have it.  I've heard that it had something to do with the opening of the deer hunt, and kids needed to be pulled out of school without any punishment so they (schools) took the end of the week off; but what about those guys at work who don't have kids living at home who all of the sudden disappear for a long weekend during the middle of October?  I guess I should invest in a couple of guns/4-wheelers/camper trailer/etc. so I can take advantage of the "religion" that is the deer hunt...don't get me wrong, if any of you know Julie's grandfather and family you'll know it is indeed a religion - complete with the sacramental wine/sherry and all of the trimmings.  Now that's the way to hunt and camp!
This weekend is the preparation for my chili.  Every year I make chili for Halloween.  With 9 pounds of meat and not a bean in sight, it's a pretty hearty chili.  Consequently, friends, family and neighbors come not only for the candy but for the chili with crusty sourdough bread.  Luckily this year we have a weekend right before Halloween, so I can spend Saturday and Sunday prepping, browning, and cooking.  It's always better after it has been sitting a day anyway, so that will be perfect!
I also need to find the recipe for my Bloody Mary Mix.  Although I'm not partaking of the special additive any more, it is still quite the beverage on it's own.  Add some celery, stuffed olives and a couple of pieces of Giardiniera and you're good to go - not to mention a shrimp or so...

No comments:

Post a Comment